Thursday, October 11, 2012

lovin' speech!

I have officially fallen in love with just about everything speech.  I find myself applying concepts I'm learning about to EVERYTHING.  I also find that I am constantly wanting to learn more about it.  I've found pinterest sites with all kinds of therapies.  I also follow the speech path blog on livejournal, which is a pretty awesome support group and I've learned a lot from reading things that members post and the responses.

In tutoring the other day (math I might add), I worked on vocabulary with my client.  I can't say this was my idea on my own, as my program director suggested it the other day during advising.  HOWEVER, I will give myself credit in saying that in the session I had been working on breaking down word problems and trying to get the client to understand what the problem was trying to ask.  After talking to my PD, I decided to print out some math vocab offline-- terrible idea, as the vocabulary had nothing to do with our subject at the time, so I figured that would be pointless.  During the session I  improvised while my client was doing her homework, and decided to make flashcards out of the chapter's vocab.  I felt like this was a great idea-- I mean if you don't know what the section is asking for, how can you get it right?!  Anyway, the client was pretty happy for a change of pace.  She was responsible for writing the definition (as she understood it after we talked about it) and writing an example that would remind her of what it meant.  Hopefully these will help. If so, we will definitely be doing it in the future!

Also, I went to the library today to check out some books.  As a grad student, I can check out as many books as I'd like, for three months. Decided it would be worth it to check out 4 books for now, as fall break is this weekend and I'm not going home. :( All of the books I ended up choosing were SLP related.  I can't get enough about reading about different situations!  I chose the following four:

  • Where is the Mango Princess?
  • Seeing Voices
  • Still Alice
  • The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
The first and the last book are about TBIs and learning to live afterwards.  The second book is about deaf culture and history.  The third book is about a professor who studied cognition who developed early onset Alzheimer's.  I've heard that all four of these are great books and I can't wait to get started on them!

So far I've read Schuyler's Monster, which was about parents journey of fighting for their child to get the appropriate AAC device, as she did not speak, but understood.  I also read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night, about a kid who (appeared to have some sort of Autism Spectrum Disorder, but it was never explicitly stated) finds out many 'secrets' in his life and has to learn to deal and adapt to them, all while not knowing emotions well.  I love reading these books because I feel like they give me new insight into the field, since SLPs deal with so.many.different.situations.  

In other news, I pretty much have mapped out my last round of prerequisites next semester.  I'll have a pretty heavy load, but I think its definitely manageable.  I'll be taking Speech Science (at the graduate level), Language/Phonological Disorders, the second part of Research Design (grad level), doing my Observation class (grad level), and Dysphagia (grad level).

So far this semester I've loveddddd neurology which is crazy, because I thought that I would have struggled in it.  We have a 25 page paper on basically speech from a speaker producing a word to the second speaker replying to the word.  At some points the paper itself has been overwhelming, but honestly I've learned so much from it, it's almost ridiculous.

Glad I seem to have picked the right career.  Hope my enthusiasm holds up throughout grad school. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment