Thursday, October 18, 2012

It's been almost a year!

It was last November that I visited the school I'm at now and decided that I was certainly going to apply.  The small town living terrified me, but I liked what the school had to offer-- small class sizes and great, caring professors.  One thing I didn't like about the school, aside from the location, was the teeny, tiny building that our program and clinic were housed in.  I got over this, and little did I know, we are getting a brand spankin' new clinic that will open next year!  My "real" cohort (my true first year as a CSDS graduate student) will be the first class to get to use it in its entirety.  How exciting!  I'm still so happy that I pursued getting my master's in this field so hard.  I never thought I would make it into a program, and here I am, about a year after definitely deciding to apply to programs for Fall 2012!  Time seems to be moving faster these days, and I'm incredibly grateful as I'm that much closer to starting all of my graduate coursework and clinics.  Hooray!!

On another note, the other day my program director recommended that the other 3 year and I sit in on a phonetics class to touch up on our skills.  After I emailed her to remind her that I took the class in person at ODU, she thankfully said that I had a great foundation and didn't realize I had taken the class in person.  Basically she told me that I didn't have to go to the phonetics class if I didn't want to.  Welllllll, even though I don't HAVE to go now, today I decided that graduate school is about learning to do what I want to do in life.  If this is the case, shouldn't I try to perfect my craft the best I can?  With that said, I decided that I might as well go to the phonetics class and master the skills/touch up on what I might have forgotten about (cough diacritics cough).  So here I am, not required to sit in on the class, not enrolled in the class, not getting a grade in the class, but yet....still sitting in on the class, JUST TO LEARN MORE.  Say what?! I guess that's what dedication and motivation will do to a person.  :)  Here's to being the best student I can be for the next 3 years.   

1 comment: